Wednesday

Adding Depth to Your Manuscript


They say we should write what we enjoy reading. Good. Makes the process a lot more fun, entertaining. So, last night, as I got ready to continue editing my manuscript, I scanned novels I like; Beloved by Toni Morrison; The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera, etc. and I realized, what appeals to me most are lyrical novels with depth.

For one, The Unbearable Lightness of Being is full of philosophical and historical references used expertly in such a way that they’re part of the artistry, the music. Love, love, love that. Oh great ones! Bestow onto me your greatness!!! (with whip cream and cherry on top)

Well, this only means one thing… time to get with the program. So, I’m looking for books that would help.

Basic Teachings of the Great Philosophers by S.E. Frost

Story of Philosophy by Bryan Magee

Critical Thinking by Alec Fisher

The Philosophy Gym : 25 Short Adventures in Thinking by Stephen Law

The Blackwell Companion to Philosophy (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy) by Nicholas Bunnin (Editor), E. P. Tsui-James (Editor)

Thinking through Philosophy : An Introduction by Chris Horner, Emrys Westacott

Info to get started:

PHILOSOPHY PAGES
Lunar features named after mathematicians (really :)
General Philosophy Links

"When ideas fail, words come in very handy. " - Goethe