Sunday

Point of View (POV)


I'm looking at my latest posting and realize, ey, I've written it like I'm just taking notes for me. Well, I guess I am in a way. This blog is my take on the latest book I'm reading.

For more info on POV's or subjects covered thus far, I recommend getting Self-Editing for Fiction Writers and get your own notes going. Besides this blog, I got a notebook with more notes.

First Person POV is the “I” voice from a narrator or specific character, making it more intimate.

Important: Here, the POV character must be strong and interesting enough. Yet, not too eccentric or bizarre that we lose connection.

Shalla Question: So, has any successful, best selling author written about an eccentric/bizarre character in first person? (Love to find a book)

Limitation with 1st Person POV – narrator must be in the scene

CURE: Write each chapter from a different narrator in 1st person


"Oh book, illuminate me!"


Omniscient POV is the “IT” voice directly from the writer. Here, it’s okay if characters don’t know the info. More perspective, less intimacy.

Third Person POV is a balance with some perspective and some intimacy.

How to create more intimacy or more distance?
--check your word choice
--more adjectives, more feelings
--syntax
--character’s emotion

A Note on Descriptions
If the description is only for info, it interrupts and slows the pace.
If the description conveys the character’s personality or mood, it can vary the pace, add texture and does not interrupt flow.

In other words, describe by “showing” a character’s personality or mood.

Reasons for creating Distance
1.) to put more focus on the action not the personalities
2.) if the scene is of minor characters
3.) to describe a situation or state of mind beyond the VP character
4.) VP character is a psychotic killer

Reason to stick to 1 POV per Scene is to control distance.